Recent robotics notices and awards
Steadily the robotics movement gains traction. Contracts are being given, funding is arranged, companies are expanding, and all the while a stream of youths are inspired to enter STEM career paths. Here are a few recent developments and awards …
- Universal Robots, manufacturer of the UR line of one-armed collaborative robots, has moved into new facilities sevenfold times bigger than their previous factory and offices. Since the first UR robot hit the market in December 2008, production has doubled annually.
“Our new premises allow us to increase daily production to more than 150 robots. This expansion of production capacity is urgently needed, as we plan to sell 2,000 robots in 2014. Furthermore, we plan to keep doubling our sales every year from 2014 to 2017,” says Enrico Krog Iversen, CEO of Universal Robots.
- Honeybee Robotics gets funding for adaptive LIDAR vision systems to create a new compact technology for navigation of unmanned ground vehicles. They also got funding for a variety of NASA space projects.
The 2014 Edison Awards were held on April 30 in San Francisco and included the following robotics-related winners:
- RobotsLab, received a Gold Award for innovation in the development of new products and services.
“We embed non-traditional and engaging new methods to teach abstract math and science concepts, ensuring the next generation’s career and college readiness. Our educators are constantly seeing breakthroughs in students’ understanding, thanks to the robots and the integrated learning experience we bring” said Elad Inbar, the company’s CEO.
- Cyberdyne’s Robot Suit HAL also won a Gold Edison Award for their exoskeleton used to assist lower limb movements according to the wearer’s intentions.
- Seegrid’s vision guided robotic tow tractor won a Bronze Edison Award for Industrial Productivity.
- Clearpath Robotics Grizzly Robotic Utility Vehicle (RUV) won the Bronze Edison Award for Commercial and Industrial Design.
Last weekend concluded both the FIRST Robotics Championships and the VEX Robotics World Championship: